Negative outcome: the riscorso (appeal)
Unfortunately, if you do not qualify or there are missing documents on your application, you will receive a letter informing you that you will not get citizenship. In this case, you have 10 days to give the Prefecture information or missing documents to try to obtain citizenship. If you don't succeed, you have 60 days to appeal to the TAR. You need to ask for the help from a lawyer to do these things.
What are the reasons for not obtaining citizenship?The reasons for which the outcome is negative are:
- Insufficient income (when the income is lower than the minimum necessary to obtain citizenship, i.e. € 8,263.61 or € 11,362.05 if the person lives with the husband / wife)
- Discontinuous residence (if the person has not had continuous residence for the years necessary to obtain citizenship)
- Criminal history (if the person has committed a serious crime)
- Lack of knowledge of the Italian language (if the person does not have a sufficient level of Italian)
- Divorce (if the person applied for citizenship by matrimonio, but then divorced their Italian husband or wife before becoming citizens)