How to renew your permesso di soggiorno
The permesso di soggiorno (residence permit) is a document with an expiry date and, when it is about to expire, you must make a request to renew it. Find out when, how and where to renew your permesso.
You must apply for the renewal at least 60 days before the expiry date indicated on the permit itself. The request must be made at the Questura or at the post office based on your type of permesso, exactly like for the request for the first issue.
For the renewal request you need:
- Filled out form that you find at the Questura or at the post office
- a photocopy of your passport
- a photocopy of your permesso di soggiorno
- a photocopy of your codice fiscale
- a € 16 marca da bollo (stamp), which you buy in tabaccheria
- receipt of payment of € 30.46 to print your permit (make this payment at the post office with a bollettino)
As with the application for the first issue of your permit, you will also need to submit other documents based on the type of the permesso. These documents are probably the same ones you had to show to get it initially. Here you will find the list of documents to be provided for each type of permesso.
Until you receive your new permesso di soggiorno, the receipt of the renewal request (the cedolino) is the document that allows you to stay regularly in Italy. Always carry it with you.
If you have any problems or questions about your application, you can go to the Comune‘s immigration offices or to a patronato.
To find the immigration office of your Comune, search online for the words “Ufficio Immigrazione Comune di [name of your city].”
To find your local patronato, search online for the words “patronato [name of your city].”