What is ItaliaHello?
- ItaliaHello is a website made specifically for immigrants, asylum seekers, and refugees in Italy. Our goal is to collect in one place all of the resources and information that you will need to build a new life for yourself and your family in Italy.
- Although ItaliaHello does not offer in-person assistance, we help you find on-the-ground sources of support by making it easier for you to understand what is available and how to take advantage of these resources.
- The content of this website has been reviewed by immigrants to be sure it is helpful. All of our materials are written in simple language in case you are learning Italian as a second language or you have only had a small amount of schooling.
- Our content is translated into English, French and Arabic (with Tigrinya and other languages coming soon).
- As long as you have access to the internet, you can use our site whenever and wherever you need information. Our information is created to be easy to read on a computer, a tablet, or a mobile phone.
- The idea for ItaliaHello comes from our US site, USAHello.org. In the United States we have hundreds of thousands of newcomers using our site from all over the country and we are always hearing how helpful it is. We hope ItaliaHello will provide the same help here in Italy.
ItaliaHello is a website made specifically for immigrants, asylum seekers, and refugees in Italy. Our goal is to collect in one place all of the resources and information that you will need to build a new life for yourself and your family in Italy.
Why is ItalianHello completely free?
- ItaliaHello is a non-profit or not-for-profit. A non-profit is an organization that helps people without earning money from its work. The money to support the work of ItaliaHello comes from donors.
- Our donors are charitable foundations and people who want to help newcomers to Italy. ItaliaHello is not controlled by, or affiliated with, any government or church.
Do I have to give you any information to use ItaliaHello?
- You don’t need to give your personal information to use ItaliaHello.
- However, if you are interested in receiving the newsletter, you will need an email address to register. We do not share your email address with anyone. We will use it only to send you information about our work.
- We comply with Europe’s data privacy laws and will always do everything we can to protect your personal privacy and security.
What resources does ItaliaHello offer?
- ItaliaHello has many pages of free information and many more coming every month.
- We will help you understand important things about Italy, including:
- The culture
- The school system
- How to look for and apply for jobs
- Online resources for learning Italian
- How to get a driver’s license
- What your rights are
- And much more!
Who is ItaliaHello for?
Anybody can use the free information on ItaliaHello, whether you are new in Italy or have been here for a long time. We say our site is for “newcomers” because that word covers many people who were not born in Italy: it means refugees, asylum seekers, and many immigrants from all over the world. But everyone is welcome!
How did you decide what words to use?
- To describe our site visitors, we use the words migrant, immigrant, foreigner, newcomer (widely used in English), asylum seeker, and refugee. We recognize that none of these words are perfect and we apologize if you don’t feel the word or words we use accurately represent you. We regret the social and political associations that so many of these words now have. ItaliaHello is for EVERYONE.
- In Italian, we have chosen to use the singular, male version of the words (for example figlio, amico) for practical reasons. But we do not believe that the male version of a word is more important than the female one. In fact, we wanted to include the female version of the words (for example figlio/figlia, amico/amica,) but this would have made our information more difficult to read.
Who created ItaliaHello?
- Our board and staff include Italians, Americans, and first and second generation immigrants in Italy and America. Our programs were developed with and are continually improved through input from newcomer communities.
- The work of ItaliaHello is based upon the belief that good information is the key to successful integration and that newcomers are their own best advocates. We also believe that when newcomers succeed personally and professionally it strengthens our communities and our economies; everyone benefits.
How can I support ItaliaHello?
Thank you for your interest in supporting the work of ItaliaHello. Please go to our supporters’ page if you would like to make a donation. Other ideas for how you can support newcomers in Italy and our work will be coming soon!