Write a personal job search advertisement
In order to find a job, it is important to know how to read job postings. However, it can also be useful to learn how to write your own job advertisement.
There are many websites where you can post your job advertisements. Websites work like displays and you can let the employers know you are looking for a job.
For the advertisement to be effective, it must attract the attention of those who read it. That is why it is very important to define what the personal skills are and the type of job you are looking for. Write a simple and clear text that is easy to understand. That way, it will be clear for those reading it to understand what you are able to do and what job you are applying for.
You can start with an introduction to summarize the content of the ad in a few words, writing who you are and what job you are looking for.
Don’t just write “I’m looking for a job”. On a job posting site, this becomes quite obvious. Instead, try using the introduction to say what you are looking for and where you want to work. If you have a qualification, you should write it down. For example:
“I am a qualified agronomist and I am looking for a job as a gardener in [write the name of the city where you would like to work]”.
After the introduction, you have to write a body that is short and easy to understand. Write down any information that could convince employers to contact you. For example:
“I worked for several years on a farm and with families with beautiful gardens to take care of. Thanks to these experiences, I have gained a lot of expertise in the care of plants and gardens. I can provide references”.
Remember to also write your availability, for example: “Available immediately for full time / part time work, etc”.
If you have a friend who speaks Italian well, ask if they can reread your ad. If you don’t know who to ask then you can check here if the words are spelled correctly.
Contact details are very important. If you write them, people interested in your ad will be able to contact you. Write a phone number and an email address. If you are busy during the day, let them know when you prefer to be contacted. For example:
“Please contact me [in the evening or before 8 am in the morning] at [phone number] or email [e-mail address]”.
Do not mix different roles
Be careful not to write in the same posting that you are interested in working very different jobs, as this could confuse the reader. For example, don’t write: “… I am looking for a job as a babysitter and secretary”.
If you want to offer different options, it is best to write separate ads.
Do not lie
It is important not to write false or misleading information. An employer or an agency who is interested in your posting would discover the truth very soon. If you are offered a job outside of your competence, no one will be happy and you will be considered reliable.
Don’t write long advertisements
The ad must capture the attention of those who read it with the most important information. So, it must be brief, clear, and comprehensive in the information. It could be as little as 50 words to a maximum of 150 words.
You will be able to say more when you are asked to send your CV and/or to do an interview.
Post an advertisement online
You can post your post for free on job search websites or social networks.
- Free websites like Kijiji, Bakeca, and Subito. check the useful links section at the bottom of the page. Click “Add Post” (Inserisci Annuncio) once you have entered the site.
- Social networks like Facebook (i.e., people on facebook groups exchange a lot of information with each other), LinkedIn and Twitter. Check the useful links section at the bottom of the page.
Deliver your advertisement in person
You can either hand write an advertisement or print it to let people know you’re looking for a job. Make some copies and take them to places where you can show or distribute your advertisement to people. Here are some examples:
- For a babysitting job: you can leave your ad in a toy shop, coffee shops and bar near schools, or supermarkets. You could also check for notice boards at the entrance of a school, for you to post your announcement.
- For tutoring, in languages or any other subject you are very good at: leave your advertisement in libraries, photocopy shops, tabacchi or bars in areas nearby schools. Always ask permission to leave your ad.
- If you know how to drive a forklift and you would like to work in a warehouse: distribute the ad in supermarkets and other large-scale retail stores in nearby areas.
Do not post advertisements on public property, such as trees, poles, street signs, or walls.